Corps of Signals 100th Anniversary
1911 - 2011

Photographs and Report on 14th Reunion at Jablapur: 13- 15 Feb 2011

Sunday, 20 February 2011

Commemoration Ceremony- 15 Feb 2011

Corps of Signals Fourteenth Reunion and Centenary Celebrations, 1 STC Jabalpur 15th Feb 2011 Pollard Arena
Commemoration Ceremony

100 Glorious Years
On this day in 1911, the 31st and 32nd Div Sig Companies of Sappers and Miners, the first Signal units were raised at Fatehegarh. Lt Gen SH Powell, Royal Engineers, was the founder and first head of the Indian Signal Service, which subsequently became Indian Signal Corps. The 33rd and 34th Div Sig Companies were raised at Ahmednagar and 41 Wireless company at Roorkee on 01 Mar 1911.
An innovation was raising of Women's Auxiliary Corps (Indian) in 1943, consisting of Europeans, Eurasians and Indians in 1942 and were employed during WW II as cipher and switchboard operators.
When Lord Mountbatten decided to advance the date of Independence the plans to Indianise the Armed Forces were planned. SO In C Brig CHI Akehurst continued in the appointment till March 1954.
After Independence there were few changes in the organisation of Signals till after the 1962 conflict with China. Major expansion of the Corps took place subsequently and in the Centenary year it is poised to take on greater challenges as the Army migrates to a fully automated digital battle space.

Note: Allow pop ups on this page. Click image for slideshow navigation. Double click for enlarged photographs.
Photographs: Courtesy 1 STC

No comments:

Post a Comment